Will Gennadiy Golovkin finally defeat Canelo Alvarez? 17th Sept

The_budweiser

Gennadiy Golovkin believes Canelo Alvarez will be better prepared for trilogy bout than he was for Dmitry Bivol

Gennadiy Golovkin 42-1-1 (37) is expecting a more focused version of Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez 57-2-2 (39) when they meet for a third time at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on September 17.

https://www.ringnews24.com/2022/08/09/gennadiy-golovkin-believes-canelo-alvarez-will-be-better-prepared-for-trilogy-bout-than-he-was-for-dmitry-bivol/

Canelo Alvarez doubles down on his hatred of Gennadiy Golovkin

It’s no secret that there is no love lost between Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez 57-2-2 (39) and Gennadiy Golovkin 42-1-1 (37) but in case there was any doubt, undisputed super middleweight champion Alvarez set the record straight.

https://www.ringnews24.com/2022/07/05/canelo-alvarez-doubles-down-on-his-hatred-of-gennadiy-golovkin/

Canelo Alvarez warns Gennadiy Golovkin he has improved in the past four years

Undisputed super middleweight champion Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez 57-2-2 (39) insists he has improved since the last time he face WBA and IBF middleweight champion Gennadiy ‘GGG’ Golovkin 42-1-1 (37) four years ago despite losing his last bout.

https://www.ringnews24.com/2022/06/28/canelo-alvarez-warns-gennadiy-golovkin-he-has-improved-in-the-past-four-years/

----------------

To be honest guys, I am behind with boxing as I had a lot going on at home with my son and had to take a break. It was only yesterday I found out Canelo lost to Dmitrii Bivol, shocking I know! but hopefully I will catch up. Would love to hear your opinions on who you think will win the trilogy fight?

Edited by The_budweiser
  • Like 1

I can see GGG being as ready and motivated for this fight as any in his career. That being said the time for him to have the best chance to beat Canelo was probably 2-3 years ago. Canelo has the motivation of bouncing back from the Bivol loss on his side. The trilogy finishes 2-0-1 Canelo.

12 hours ago, Ledhed1 said:

I can see GGG being as ready and motivated for this fight as any in his career. That being said the time for him to have the best chance to beat Canelo was probably 2-3 years ago. Canelo has the motivation of bouncing back from the Bivol loss on his side. The trilogy finishes 2-0-1 Canelo.

The best chance for Golovkin to beat Canelo was in 2017 when he did it. Even a year later the verdict could easily have gone to Golovkin, despite Canelo's drug enhanced performances.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, robprosser said:

The best chance for Golovkin to beat Canelo was in 2017 when he did it. Even a year later the verdict could easily have gone to Golovkin, despite Canelo's drug enhanced performances.

- - Now, Rob, let's not go the backdated TUE Floydy drug accusations against Manny or the Busted Big Baby drug accusations vs Josh.

Canelo has never failed a drug test and the only boxer or boxer of note to provide hair follicles for backup testing as well. 

Ya could look it up!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

--- Not a good look to see light in the loafer fans living in the past when we are mere days from perhaps the greatest Middleweight Trilogy in history.

Been an excellent contrast in styles with Canelo keeping GGG moving so he could not set to punch while Canelo set up his own counters in the first fight. 2nd fight Canelo set up ring center to blast GGG back anytime he dared to enter for 9-10 rounds before Canelo now confident reverted to to keep GGG moving for the counter punch.

Ring pick Canelo 20-0 with most by KO, so it's too often a curse as Canelo found out vs Bivol.

If GGG looks as bad as he did early vs Murata, yeah, Canelo might KO him, otherwise I predict a decision.

• Like 1

Let's not forget this third fight is at 168 so a trilogy not entirely at middleweight. I said earlier GGG's best chance to win was probably 2-3 years ago and I was corrected. Better said his last chance to win was probably 2-3 years ago or his best chance to win a third fight was 2-3 years ago. Good for him he's still able to get a payday while hopefully he strolls into retirement with his senses still intact. Canelo moves on to Benavidez in the new year.

*****SPOILERS*****

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

--- Canelo outpoints GGG 116-112 115-113 x2 

Didn't watch, but sounds like GGG busted up early and hurt, then came back strong too late. The closing tepid 12th round sounds like both fighters were spent.

I'll get back with my scoring after I watch the fight, but mid rounds the fans were booing.

• Like 1

Canelo won the first 8 rounds. GGG won the 9th, and I suspect the judges got a bit excited, started to see GGG in a different light and gave him more rounds than he deserved down the stretch. It wasn't competitive. It was clear GGG needed a late knockout to win, which was never in danger of happening. GGG looked the part of an old fighter. Perhaps we'll hear excuses like overtraining; it's always so crystal clear in hindsight. GGG reminded us he's still middleweight champion so it appears he has no intention of retiring. Perhaps he chalks this result up being unable to handle 168. If he can still bring it at 160, that'll be good for a division that's been seeing dark days for a while.

Perhaps Canelo squeezes in a fight for late this year or early next - as he's done that more than once in recent years - before setting up a biggie for Cinco de Mayo. Benavidez would do nicely in that spot.

ringside report by Barbara Pinnella
Saul Alvarez vs Gennadiy Golovkin; Canelo Still Reigns Supreme!

All the belts were on the line. Those WBC, WBA, WBO, IBF, and RING super middleweight titles were in the balance when Canelo and GGG hit the ring. But there was a lot more than that. Bad blood between the two made both men bitter. Couple that with the loss Canelo had last time out against Bivol and emotions were high.

MAIN EVENT

Alvarez vs Golovkin

Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (58-2-2, 39 KOs) took on, for the third time, Gennadiy “GGG” Golovkin (42-2-1, 37 KOs) for all of the that glitter mentioned earlier, and all of the glory that goes along with it. Both men were throwing little strikes in the opening round. More contact from both fighters in the second round. Points scored for both with some good shots. A bit more urgency in the third. Canelo was coming in a lot more and landed some really good punches. He caught Golovkin with a solid shot which sent him backwards. Canelo was definitely the aggressor in the third round.

Read more: https://www.ringnews24.com/2022/09/18/saul-alvarez-vs-gennadiy-golovkin-canelo-still-reigns-supreme/

• Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 12:54 AM, LondonRingRules said:

Didn't watch, but sounds like GGG busted up early and hurt, then came back strong too late. The closing tepid 12th round sounds like both fighters were spent.

"came back strong" is a massive overstatement.   Golovkin simply landed a few more safe punches than earlier in the fight.

And Canelo did fukall even in the early rounds.

Golovkin wasn't even trying to win, and Canelo just played it safe for 12 rounds.

I’ve seen more exciting charity sparring matches.

I'm still waiting for the fight to start.

Both men owe the fans a public apology.

Actually, they should both personally repay everyone that bought PPV.

• Like 1