WILDER "wiped the floor" with Haye in sparring

Bear Hugger

DEONTAY WILDER once “wiped the floor” with David Haye in sparring as the Brit boxer prepared to face Tyson Fury in 2013, according to sensational claims by Anthony Joshua’s former training partner Richard Towers.

Wilder was roped in to help Haye prepare to face Fury – an almost unique 6ft 9in giant with never-ending limbs – at the Hayemaker’s training camp alongside his then-coach Adam Booth.

Richard Towers, himself 6ft 8ins tall, was also invited, having already helped a young Anthony Joshua prepare for the London 2012 Olympic Games.

Towers became good friends with the Bronze Bomber and has remained in close contact with the WBC heavyweight champion since.

And during a bombshell interview with Boxing News this week, Towers revealed all about his relationship with Wilder.

“Me and Deontay are friends; we sparred in Sheffield, London, even my kitchen. We’re very close so we’d go easy,” Towers explained.

“But I remember him just throwing a right hand and not meaning to put anything into it, the speed – until you get in there you don’t realise – and that’s the same for his power.

“There’s no comparison to Deontay’s power, even with Wladimir [Klitschko] – who tortured me when I first sparred him – and David Haye. You can’t make one mistake with Deontay because he hits that hard; he’s more agile than any big man I’ve seen.

“He hit me with a right hand just above my temple – we had 20oz gloves on – and it wobbled me and I remember me left leg felt really heavy.

“For two weeks after that, I had a terrible pain, like somebody had a hot knife in the bottom of my foot and it was shooting up my leg.”

Towers, who now proudly trains young fighters out of Dave Coldwell’s gym in Rotherham, also lifted the lid on some fascinating details about the behind-closed-doors sessions he shared with Wilder and Haye.

He continued: “His chin, I’ve hit him clean on the chin, and watched David Haye catch him clean on the gym; he wiped the floor with David.”

Source:

Boxing news: Insider claims Deontay Wilder ‘wiped the floor’ with Haye | Boxing | Sport | Express.co.uk

Re: WILDER "wiped the floor" with Haye in sparring

I haven't seen the full session, but the part I have seen on you tube suggests quite the opposite. I am not disputing what Richard says. I have met him, and also know his background.

Yeah, I saw the YouTube clip, but since they were trying to promote Haye at the time, I doubt they'd show the full session if Wilder was getting the best of it.

--- Best to dismiss sparring as just that.

Fighters are in different stages of training and usually spars are a form of role playing where the sparmate emulates an unnatural style of the opponent as the fighter works on certain techniques and responses. At any rate, Pink at the end of his rope and unable to complete the two Fury training camps and got KOed by Bellew, knocked halfway out of the ring.

I haven't seen the full session, but the part I have seen on you tube suggests quite the opposite. I am not disputing what Richard says. I have met him, and also know his background.

What, you mean that 30 second clip that Haye himself posted, culled from weeks of sparring footage, in which he managed to land a single punch?

I was laughing then, I'm laughing now.

What, you mean that 30 second clip that Haye himself posted, culled from weeks of sparring footage, in which he managed to land a single punch?

I was laughing then, I'm laughing now.

I did CLEARLY say "I haven't seen the full session" and I also said that I wasn't disputing what Richard said. I don't know who posted the Haye/ Wilder sparring session in the first place, I was merely trying to join in, as had been requested by the site owner.