Fights That Happened Too Soon - whats yours?

After Skavs article 'Fights That Happened Too Late' - It go me thinking what fights happened to soon?

The first boxer that I thought of was Ricky Burns and two of his fights.

The first fight was Graham Earl who was 22-0 and Burns as 9-0. Burns had only fought one fighter with a winning record before the fight and Earl had a lot more experience, been in against better opposition and had defended the title several times. Burns won the fight after short notice and the BBBofC didn't recognise it as a legitimate fight for the British title, so no belt was on the line.

4 fights later was another step up too soon and it provided Burns with his first defeat at the hands of Alex Arthur. Burns was 13-0 while Arthur was 21-1, Arthur had been in with a lot better names and quality and had British, European, Commonwealth and Inter-Continental experience.

What fights happened too soon?

Re: Fights That Happened Too Soon - whats yours?

Lewis v Klitschko. Klitschko was a last minute sub, and with more preparation, it could have been an even better fight. Having said that, Lewis then retired, so if it was any later, it wouldn't have happened at all.

This could be a long thread as I am sure there are many where "prospects" were put in with someone too early, or 2 prospects met too early on.

Lomachenko vs Salido

Haye vs Thompson

David Price vs Thompson

Too early in their careers and were over faced maybe.

Degale vs Groves - In hindsight maybe not, but it seemed these two could have put off their rivalry until they were both a bit further up the world ladder.

Saunders vs Eubank - Similar to the above, maybe with a bit more experience Eubank may have done the job. He was coming on strong in the latter part of the fight. But then again subsequent losses have exposed Eubank somewhat as style over substance.

I'm sure there's many more to be made a case for but these are the ones that currently come to mind.

Yea i'm gonna avoid prospects stepping up against champions.

My vote goes to Fernando Vargas against Felix Trinidad. If i'm not mistaken Fernando was only 22 years old at the time. He had already fought Campas, Raul Marquez, Winky Wright, and Ike Quartey. Was never the same after the Tito fight.

--- As far as Loma vs Salido, Loma would've KOed the jerk in the last rd but for the slimy Cole. Salido was about 5 lbs overweight at the weighin and reported a fight weight of around 147, needed about 2 dozen low blows and a dozen each butts and hitting on the break and uncounted clinches to keep Loma off him and refused the good money rematch in a cleaner venue, so nuff on that.

Carl was coming off 3 tko losses and Haye as he was known then had him mushy for th 4th, but didn't pace himself, a schoolboy error exacerbated by an incompetent corner.

yeah, poor price another victim of mismanagement, but give he never realized a smidgeon of his potential beyond a touted prospect, perhaps too early never mattered. Guys like manny and Mike tyson could get matched to early and excel, and Vargas was seen in the same vein, but overall his biggest prob was making too much money and years of near killing himself to make 154 when he was a natural middleweight who'd hydrate to mid 170s like the typical modern middle.

antoine douglas vs khurtsidze recently. That is one fight a prospect shouldnt take, a relentless pressure fighter with some pop.

Sammy Vazquez was never going to be a top fighter, but putting him against felix diaz, who in my opinion beat lamont peterson one fight earlier, was pretty retarded.

This could be a long thread as I am sure there are many where "prospects" were put in with someone too early, or 2 prospects met too early on.

Lomachenko vs Salido

Haye vs Thompson

David Price vs Thompson

Too early in their careers and were over faced maybe.

Degale vs Groves - In hindsight maybe not, but it seemed these two could have put off their rivalry until they were both a bit further up the world ladder.

Saunders vs Eubank - Similar to the above, maybe with a bit more experience Eubank may have done the job. He was coming on strong in the latter part of the fight. But then again subsequent losses have exposed Eubank somewhat as style over substance.

I'm sure there's many more to be made a case for but these are the ones that currently come to mind.

I have to agree with Haye vs Thompson. Carl was still a top cruiserweight and just beat decent Sebastian Rothman. Haye hardly had anyone worth of note on his record. I can't believe that a lot of people treat this fight as a big "upset".

I have to agree with Haye vs Thompson. Carl was still a top cruiserweight and just beat decent Sebastian Rothman. Haye hardly had anyone worth of note on his record. I can't believe that a lot of people treat this fight as a big "upset".

It was - Thompson was basically done before the Rothmann fight and Haye looked magnificent even though he was still a novice. Haye should have won that comfortably but he got excited and thought he could flatten Thompson when he got him hurt, and promptly punched himself out.

It was - Thompson was basically done before the Rothmann fight and Haye looked magnificent even though he was still a novice. Haye should have won that comfortably but he got excited and thought he could flatten Thompson when he got him hurt, and promptly punched himself out.

Can simply put Haye's strategy that lead to him punching himself out, down to inexperience. Hence, it came too soon, despite the fact he really should have won the fight ;-)

Can simply put Haye's strategy that lead to him punching himself out, down to inexperience. Hence, it came too soon, despite the fact he really should have won the fight ;-)

I don't think it was inexperience, I think Haye's ego got in the way and I think he'd do the same again.