What are your thoughts on Danny Garcia?

WelshDevilRob

The current WBC World welterweight champion has an unbeaten record of 32-0, 18 KOs. Hailing from Philadelphia, he held WBA & WBC super lightweight titles and defended against the likes of Amir Khan, Erik Morales, Zab Judah then, probably, his best win against Lucas Martin Matthysse. Next performance was bad, when earning an MD, against Mauricio Herrera.

Now a welterweight with wins over Rod Salka, Lamont Petersen, Paulie Malignaggi and Robert Guerrero.

What next for "Swift" and how do you rate him? Do you believe he ducked fights with Pacquiao, Broner and now Terence Crawford?

Re: What are your thoughts on Danny Garcia?

I like Danny Swift. Hes great fighter. He didnt beat Herrera and boxing showed its ugly, corrupt side that night but I always root for him because he comes across to me a as genuine lad. I dont see any evidence of him swerving anyone at any weight. And god knows enough of it goes on...

I dont see any evidence of him swerving anyone at any weight. And god knows enough of it goes on...

He should have rematched Herrera, the Peterson fight was a catchweight non-title copout and now he's fighting very shopworn "welterweights". He should have faced Postol but opted to buy him off, should have faced Broner but apparently TV won't pay for it(hardly surprising).

He's done very well for himself, but his ambition seemed to wane drastically after Herrera.

He should have rematched Herrera, the Peterson fight was a catchweight non-title copout and now he's fighting very shopworn "welterweights". He should have faced Postol but opted to buy him off, should have faced Broner but apparently TV won't pay for it(hardly surprising).

He's done very well for himself, but his ambition seemed to wane drastically after Herrera.

And this is completely understandable, since (of course) Herrera exposed him quite badly.

His people aren't going to let him near anyone even remotely dangerous, ever again, unless it's "huge payday cash-out" time.

And what's with that ridiculous mask? :noidea: I know it's from some dumb horror movie, but it looks so fricking GAY.

Danny Swish .........

Edited by Cableaddict

I used to be a fan of his. Started to lose interest around the time PBC became a thing. Seen him fight live several times (vs Morales II, Salka, Judah, Malignaggi, Peterson, and met him a few times. Very likable in person. But can't stand him when the cameras are rolling. Picked him to lose to Matthysse, but hasn't done anything impressively since then. I don't think he'll last long at the top as a welterweight.

And what's with that ridiculous mask? :noidea: I know it's from some dumb horror movie, but it looks so fricking GAY.

Danny Swish .........

Maybe he's more secure in his masculinity than you are and doesn't give a shit what people think?;-)

He clearly doesn't care too much, or he would have fought Peterson at the proper weight with the titles on the line.

EDIT: Apparently the mask is from a film series called The Purge, with a tagline "24 hours to kill someone, legally." so Garcia has adopted the mask because "It gives me 45 minutes to kill someone, legally."

Edited by gavpowell

I looked into WBC ranking

1 .- Amir Khan (GB) :noidea:

2 .- Andre Berto (US) :noidea:

3 .- Lamont Peterson (US) :noidea:

4 .- Charles Manyuchi (Zimbabwe) SILVER ;-)

5 .- Shawn Porter (US)

I'd love to see Garcia against Manyuchi. Extremely weird, but also effective boxer.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of these PBC boys thinking they're super stars pricing themselves out of fights. Not sure what was offered. But Berto was an afterthought in early 2015. Losing to Mayweather, and gets a decent stoppage of shopworn part time boxer Ortiz in a rematch has gotten him back in the conversation. Then he's turning down a TV main event for a title?

Today I read that it might face earlier this year to Keith Thurman in what would be one of the battles of next year. Garcia is an exceptional fighter but I've always believed that having his father in the corner and bringing her career is negatively affecting him.

I've seen early 2017 mentioned for Thurman vs Garcia. Certainly, I hope it happens. I believe that Keith wins.