Can David Haye become world champion again?

The_budweiser

David Haye insists he will become a world champion again within the next year

Former WBA Heavyweight champion David Haye insists he will win another title within a year.

Haye has fought twice in 2016, securing knockout wins against Australian, Mark de Mori and Swiss Arnold Gjergjaj.

He has been linked with an all British showdown against Anthony Joshua or Tony Bellew but is set take on loudmouth Shannon Briggs in September.

And of his next bout, Haye said: “I’m working on this next fight. *

"I want it to be a substantial fight, a fight that gets people excited.”

“It’s a good time to be in the heavyweight division in the UK.

"You’ve got Anthony Joshua, who has a world title, Tyson Fury as well. It’s a real healthy environment for heavyweight boxing at the moment. We’re spoilt for choice.”

“Lennox Lewis was the only British heavyweight champion at the time he was champion, so was Frank Bruno.”

Former WBA Heavyweight champion David Haye insists he will win another title within a year.

Haye has fought twice in 2016, securing knockout wins against Australian, Mark de Mori and Swiss Arnold Gjergjaj.

He has been linked with an all British showdown against Anthony Joshua or Tony Bellew but is set take on loudmouth Shannon Briggs in September.

And of his next bout, Haye said: “I’m working on this next fight. *

"I want it to be a substantial fight, a fight that gets people excited.”

“It’s a good time to be in the heavyweight division in the UK.

"You’ve got Anthony Joshua, who has a world title, Tyson Fury as well. It’s a real healthy environment for heavyweight boxing at the moment. We’re spoilt for choice.”

“Lennox Lewis was the only British heavyweight champion at the time he was champion, so was Frank Bruno.”

“But now we’ve got two current heavyweight champions, possibly three, if I can get a world title fight. It’s a situation that’s never happened before.”

“I believe within a year I’ll have a version of a title, whether that’s against Anthony Joshua, against the winner of Tyson Fury’s rematch against Wladimir Klitschko, or against Deontay Wilder."

“I’m focusing on the British side of things at the moment, but in boxing, anything can happen.”

Source: Mirror

Re: Can David Haye become world champion again?

Must have been an echo in the room when the reporter typed that up!!

In a word, yes he can become a world title, given the number of titles, the orgs stripping people left right and centre and the relatively lack of depth in the division.

However, within a year is pushing it a bit! He needs to get a fucking move on in that case. But he's never in any hurry.

Haye has destroyed everything in his way in 2016. Briggs fight seems to have gone off the boil, probably a good thing as Shannon would get hurt badly.

Think a vacant WBA title fight against Lucas Browne or Fres Oquendo is on the cards, the fight with Browne would be epic. Luis Ortiz has probably priced himself out.

Haye has destroyed everything in his way in 2016. Briggs fight seems to have gone off the boil, probably a good thing as Shannon would get hurt badly.

Think a vacant WBA title fight against Lucas Browne or Fres Oquendo is on the cards, the fight with Browne would be epic. Luis Ortiz has probably priced himself out.

If Haye wants to quickly get back on everyone's radar, then Ortiz is the obvious solution. Ortiz is almost universally regarded as one of the top 4-5 HW right now, yet can't find a decent opponent and is in danger of being ducked right into retirement. He's the only credibly opponent that might actually accept a Haye offer.

A win over Browne would mean almost nothing.

He could go after the Jennings' & Pulevs of the world, but then he'd be 38 - 39 years old before ever getting a chance at a belt. Haye's only other chance is if Wilder gets healthy again, and can't find anyone decent that will face him. Haye might then be a viable option, financially. - But more than likely Wilder will fight and beat Povetkin, and then he'll be established enough to never need to even consider Haye.

Maybe if Haye hadn't made his comeback by fighting two no-hopers in obviously rigged fights, but now that's just a deeper hole he's dug himself into.

Edited by Cableaddict

If Haye wants to quickly get back on everyone's radar, than Ortiz is the obvious solution.

Haye's entire heavyweight career is of a man studiously avoiding any challenging fights unless the heavyweight title was on the line. That he even discussed the Briggs fight tells us he's back to the old routine.

I don't think Haye will be anywhere near a title fight inside a year. I can't see Joshua or Wilder going near Haye and who knows how long the Fury drug saga will go on.

Haye's deluding himself and is relying on a promoter/fighter giving him a chance. I can't see him making himself mandatory with the rubbish he has fought so far.

Saying that, I just googled his ranking and he's higher than I expected.

Source: Fight News

WBC 6th

WBA 5th

IBF 3rd

WBO 4th

--- Seem to recall he rose to 19th on boxrec due to those ranked over him losing.

Doubt he gained a point with his last two orchestrations, so essentially he's been in stasis for 4-5 yrs now save from hot gases spewing forth with every pronouncement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think he is looking to fight the winner of Browne vs Oquendo, who will meet for the vacant WBA title later this year. I give Haye a good chance against Browne. The bigger fights could elude him for a while, as Fury, Wilder, Klitschko and Joshua will be busy fighting each other.

I think he can't because AJ is stronger and TF is better boxer. Wilder is the only option and also I think he will be defeated by Deontay

I'm not sure if Fury is a better boxer (the dancing bear only won because Wlad decided to not punch) but I agree with everything else.

Ortiz and Wilder are the only top guys I could see even entertaining giving Haye a shot (probably not even Wilder) And Wilder is just ALL wrong for Haye. Too fast, too good at distance fighting.

Ortiz, on the other hand, would make a great stylistic matchup for Haye, and as I've said before, Ortiz may be the only top guy desperate enough to accept a Haye offer.

- But Haye still,needs a "real" win first. Something to earn the shot. Otherwise he'll be fighting a guy who could definitely KTFO him, for peanuts.

Maybe Pulev ? Maybe the LOSER of Povetkin - Stiverne? Or as Rob suggests, the winner of Browne vs Oquendo.

Any of these would gain his at least a whisp of HW legitimacy. Right now, he's still a complete joke.

Edited by Cableaddict

Would be a lot easier for him to win one if Fury hadn't completely written off a fight happening between them, ever.. Haye's own fault though really.

Money talks though, and if Wlad gets his retribution Fury is back down a rung or two on the ladder and the Haye fight might be financially beneficial to him!

Money talks though, and if Wlad gets his retribution Fury is back down a rung or two on the ladder and the Haye fight might be financially beneficial to him!

Oh yeh that's a different story, what I mean is that as long as Fury is champion or at least the bigger between the two, he will never give Haye a shot

After the toe fiasco, and inconsistency after inconsistency, I care not to take any discussion of Haye being a world champion seriously. Having said that, many are foaming at the mouth for a Haye vs. Joshua fight. So I can see it happening. Can Haye win it? Considering I do not think he deserves the fight, I will hold my comment on that. Hahaha. The power of enabling.

After the toe fiasco, and inconsistency after inconsistency, I care not to take any discussion of Haye being a world champion seriously. Having said that, many are foaming at the mouth for a Haye vs. Joshua fight. So I can see it happening. Can Haye win it? Considering I do not think he deserves the fight, I will hold my comment on that. Hahaha. The power of enabling.

Tru dat. Here we are, doing Haye's work for him. ;-)