Least worthy champ ever

chaconfan

Re: Least worthy champ ever

Ray Leonard is on the list, because of the circumstances surrounding his win over Lalonde. However you have not explained why you want to nominate Broner. Educate me please....and that is not sarcasm.

He lost his match to Shawn Porter. Through some luck, he got to fight for a world title right after that.It was a vacant title and his opponent was coming off a loss as well. Even Floyd Mayweather, stated he wouldn't be proud of such victory.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He lost his match to Shawn Porter. Through some luck, he got to fight for a world title right after that.It was a vacant title and his opponent was coming off a loss as well. Even Floyd Mayweather, stated he wouldn't be proud of such victory.

Thanks for the info pal. I agree, those are not circumstances that indicate a worthy champ.

In any sport game name it, football, wrestling, race, basket ball, rugby, cricket even volleyball or in chess and ludo game, any sporting game whatsoever, it's all about your tactics and tricks. Every champion deserve to be a winner if you abide by the rules and you did not cheat.

A few examples:

-Buster Douglas becoming the UNDISPUTED champion

-Zab Judah is a good fighter but has won a fair few vacant belts and has become an undisputed champion

-Chavez Jr winning the world title after they stripped Martinez

Any of several WBA heavyweight champions could qualify: Ruiz, Valuev, Haye, Chagaev - sometimes all at the same time!

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr - not just excused from drugs tests and given lenient punishment when he did fail, the WBC took the belt off Martinez and gave it to Chavez because they liked his daddy. Difficult to get less worthy than that.

this is definitely one among many example of undeserve boxing champ i have seen,Infacts I think it should be tag as the worst ever in the boxing industry,It was just too obvious and glaring that it was undeserving

Which champ should have never been one?

Did he avoid the best contenders on the way up?

Did he dodge the best challengers?

Did he sit on his title with poor excuses for not defending more frequently?

Did he only win the title through dodgy dealings like mob connections or bribes?

As for the most undeserving, before being stripped Lamont Peterson was pretty undeserving of the IBF title. Considering the way he won from Khan and that he got knocked out by Matthysse at 141 to avoid losing it, he was pretty undeserving.

Any of several WBA heavyweight champions could qualify: Ruiz, Valuev, Haye, Chagaev - sometimes all at the same time!

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr - not just excused from drugs tests and given lenient punishment when he did fail, the WBC took the belt off Martinez and gave it to Chavez because they liked his daddy. Difficult to get less worthy than that.

Most WBA regular champ are pretty much undeserving of the title of champion. I mean look at Thurman for example, he was elevated to the status of champion in between fights. That's ridiculous.

As for the most undeserving, before being stripped Lamont Peterson was pretty undeserving of the IBF title. Considering the way he won from Khan and that he got knocked out by Matthysse at 141 to avoid losing it, he was pretty undeserving.

He failed his drug test so the the Khan fight should have been declared a no-contest, Khan given his title back and Peterson given a substantial ban. What other sport would a proven drugs cheat be allowed to carry on as if nothing had happened?

Kiko Martinez seems to have developed a good way a earning title shots. Get knocked out and hep presto a title shot beckons a few months later.

A few examples:

-Buster Douglas becoming the UNDISPUTED champion

-Zab Judah is a good fighter but has won a fair few vacant belts and has become an undisputed champion

-Chavez Jr winning the world title after they stripped Martinez

I don't think Douglas was undeserving, he knocked out the dominant, unbeaten and undisputed champ! He got his shot by decisioning Berbick and McCall. All seems okay to me.

Bob Foster against Joe Frazier, why a man who got knocked out by Charlie Polite think he could take on an undefeated prime Joe Frazier without having any fights against top 10 HW's to even get title contention, is beyond me.

But that does not make him an undeserving champ pal. Firstly, he was very deserving of his light heavyweight title, and was a great champ. Secondly, if he could have beaten Frazier, he would have been very deserving of the title. You got to give the guy credit. A skinny light heavy going in against a rib breaking powerhouse, gets my respect.

I don't think Douglas was undeserving, he knocked out the dominant, unbeaten and undisputed champ! He got his shot by decisioning Berbick and McCall. All seems okay to me.

Yes totally 100% agree with you on this Rob. He put on an AWESOME performance. He was better than people think, he just did not normally train hard, but did so for Tyson, because you couldn't go in there with a guy like that and not be ready.

Scott Clark challenging Pipino Cuevas for the title, getting obliterated, and then never fighting again.

Thanks for contributing, but that is not what the question is. Clark was not a champ. The question you are answering is, who was the least worthy challenger.

In any sport game name it, football, wrestling, race, basket ball, rugby, cricket even volleyball or in chess and ludo game, any sporting game whatsoever, it's all about your tactics and tricks. Every champion deserve to be a winner if you abide by the rules and you did not cheat.

No pal. You need to do more research. There are many reasons why some people don't deserve to be champ. The governing bodies have favourites, some managers and promoters can bribe for a shot for their guy, or pay for opponents to take a dive, some ref's and judges are biased, and many other things can happen. Read some of these posts to find some of the very interesting ways.

My vote goes to Elisha Obed. I can't really say that the title wins were undeserved, as I've never been able to see them (please contact me if you got a link to these), but of those games I've seen of him he has been awful every other fight.

A Bahamian middleweight fighter. He was an active fighter from the 60s to 80s.

Anybody mention Lamont Peterson yet?? To me, he is THE most unworthy champ of our time. He got a gift over Khan, then somehow they let him fight Matthysse without having to put the belt at stake and ofc, he got totally wasted by Lucas, yet still Lucas didn't get a world belt, but this bitch did! At least they stripped him of the WBA belt before that. He made a couple decent defenses but nothing great. He beat a washed up Holt and Dierry Jean, who proved to be overrated, but then ironically made his best performance in a loss to Swift Danny. But the fact that they let him fight Matthysse without the belt on the line just shows how rotten and corrupt the boxing politics have become, especially in USA.

Edited by BoztheMadman

Anybody mention Lamont Peterson yet?? To me, he is THE most unworthy champ of our time. He got a gift over Khan, then somehow they let him fight Matthysse without having to put the belt at stake and ofc, he got totally wasted by Lucas, yet still Lucas didn't get a world belt, but this bitch did! At least they stripped him of the WBA belt before that. He made a couple decent defenses but nothing great. He beat a washed up Holt and Dierry Jean, who proved to be overrated, but then ironically made his best performance in a loss to Swift Danny. But the fact that they let him fight Matthysse without the belt on the line just shows how rotten and corrupt the boxing politics have become, especially in USA.

I seem to recall someone mentioning him earlier, but all that means is that he has two votes.

You forgot his drug test fail following his title win..

You forgot his drug test fail following his title win..

This wasn't quite the full story. He (Peterson) passed the post-fight piss test after taking Khan's belts off him in Dec 2011 in a Super Lightweight contest in a SD. (Remember the deducted points for Khan "pushing" in R7 and R12, and the man-in-the-hat? Mustafa Ameen - an IBF "official" who was there by invitation from the IBF but not in an official capacity - and later seen in the ring celebrating with the Peterson team). A rematch was then set up for the following May 19th 2012 at junior welterweight. Both sides agreed to VADA being the testing authority. In very early May 2012 it was announced by VADA that Peterson had failed a random drug test by a sample taken on 19th March 2012, so Khan's team called the May fight off even though a follow up test proved negative on both the A (T/E) and B (macro) samples. Prompting Khan to make the rash statement: "The truth's come out now and it just proves that Lamont Peterson was a cheat really." Peterson didn't fight at all in 2012. Ironically it was Peterson's team who had requested pre fight random testing as they feared Khan was juicing for the fight to gain the required muscle mass for the step up in weight.

Its still unclear why VADA held the information on the +ve test in March for a nearly 2 months without mentioning it.......

This wasn't quite the full story. He (Peterson) passed the post-fight piss test after taking Khan's belts off him in Dec 2011 in a Super Lightweight contest in a SD. (Remember the deducted points for Khan "pushing" in R7 and R12, and the man-in-the-hat? Mustafa Ameen - an IBF "official" who was there by invitation from the IBF but not in an official capacity - and later seen in the ring celebrating with the Peterson team). A rematch was then set up for the following May 19th 2012 at junior welterweight. Both sides agreed to VADA being the testing authority. In very early May 2012 it was announced by VADA that Peterson had failed a random drug test by a sample taken on 19th March 2012, so Khan's team called the May fight off even though a follow up test proved negative on both the A (T/E) and B (macro) samples. Prompting Khan to make the rash statement: "The truth's come out now and it just proves that Lamont Peterson was a cheat really." Peterson didn't fight at all in 2012. Ironically it was Peterson's team who had requested pre fight random testing as they feared Khan was juicing for the fight to gain the required muscle mass for the step up in weight.

Its still unclear why VADA held the information on the +ve test in March for a nearly 2 months without mentioning it.......

This is great info. I used to follow and research boxing far more than I do these days, so I did not know any of this. Unbiased, and factual. This is what should be used when anyone is making a point, not hatred, jealousy, twisting things, purposely leaving info out and making things up as you go along, to defend the fighter you are a fan of. Selig for president anyone?