Does "taking a Dive" exist in boxing?

WelshDevilRob

All sport faces accusations of fixing and foul play. Boxing has a history of being associated with dodgy characters outside the ring. In the latest Ringnews24 Boxing Radio Show, former WBA Heavyweight champion Tim Witherspoon claimed he took a dive in the World title fight with James "Bonecrusher" Smith.

The Interview with Tim Witherpoon here, a must listen.

Interview also on Ringnews24: Ringnews24 Boxing Radio – Episode Eleven, 05 February 2016 - - Boxing News - Ring News24

My questions are do you believe Tim Witherspoon's claim, and what other fights do you believe that a fighter deliberately took a dive and why they did it?

Re: Does "taking a Dive" exist in boxing?

Of course it does.

Someone told me about brown envelopes he saw swapping hands in boxing gyms, now he is a BBBofC official.

The late Dave Allen told me that his Australian friend who was a judge was offered bribes regularly.

Tim Witherspoon's claim - this would make an interesting article @Anthony George

Without a doubt, so much money involved in sports betting. The circumstances for throwing a fight maybe not as easy to get right as in cricket and footy but easy to take a count in any round and ultimately not get up. I think probably easier to spot in boxing?? Wouldn't say more prolific than in cricket etc as so many betting options.

There aren't any one versus one sports without foul play like taking a dive. No matter how depressing it is, it exists in boxing as well. Luckily you can enjoy many fights without experiencing it, in contrast to certain other sports (cough cough WWE).

Witherspoon decided to really put on the chunk for this abortion.

Smith looked supremely confident before the bell and during ref instructions he looked mean but Witherspoon didn't look in as good shape and not with his game face. I think Smith put on a career performance but Witherspoon is still a good champ

I love Tim, met him in Birmingham U.K, and was always a fan, but he definitely did not take a dive in his loss to Smith. I will tell you why I say that. If you watch the fight again, you will notice that he actually knocks Smith down, but for some reason ( I think I know what that reason was) it was not called a knockdown. He wouldn't have punched hard enough to floor Smith, if he was intending to take a dive, plus he would have gone down himself much easier, if he wanted to lose.

He was having managerial problems, just like everyone seems to have, with Don King, specially since Don also got Carl King involved. Therefore his mind was not on his game, but he did not lose intentionally, because, it lost him a big opportunity for a big pay day against Tyson.

Some is blatantly obvious like Jorge Kahwagi (12-0, 12 KOs)

Here is his last fight (note the muscle implants)

Indeed, what a pathetic display, both the "fight" and his whole "career". Sadly all sports have these bad elements. Where there is money to be gained corruption will flourish.

There is no way to prove if someone is feigning a knockout. The popular Mayweather vs PAC-man match-up last year is speculated to be a case of match fixing as well. It didn't look like Mayweather won a genuine decision from referees. Even Pacquiao claimed he couldn't believe the scores.

Some is blatantly obvious like Jorge Kahwagi (12-0, 12 KOs)

Here is his last fight (note the muscle implants)

Also, there was a Heavyweight Ray Edwards (10-0-1, 6 KOs), think he was a former NFL player. His opponent took an obvious dive.

What the actual fuck is this!? :laugh:

The guy doesn't even look human!

Here's a good one, I guess the wind from the punch took him down

I love seeing these ridiculous clips, but want to point out that there is taking a dive, which would entail someone throwing the fight due to payment received, and there is bottling it, which is going down as you want paying for taking part in a boxing match, but do not want the pain that goes with the inevitable loss. Hard to know which one we are ever seeing though.

La motta took a dive against Billy Fox, as did Mickey Rourkes last opponent.