RBR Keith Thurman to face Shawn Porter-Predictions/Results

The_budweiser

re: RBR Keith Thurman to face Shawn Porter-Predictions/Results

Sugar Ray Leonard & Thomas Hearns Weigh-In on Thurman vs Porter

Sugar Ray Leonard and Thomas “Hitman’’ Hearns might be uniquely qualified to talk about what WBA welterweight champion Keith “One Time’’ Thurman and “Showtime’’ Shawn Porter are thinking and feeling heading into their battle that pits two men against each other who are in their primes in a highly charged battle for supremacy in the talent-laden welterweight division.

The highly anticipated showdown headlines SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING® on CBS presented by Premier Boxing Champions (PBC) with televised coverage starting at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT.

Leonard had a record of 30-1 with 21 KOs and held the WBC welterweight title when he took on Hearns, who was 32-0 with 30 KOs and held the WBA title, in a 15-round title unification match in Las Vegas on September 16, 1981. The match was billed as “The Showdown’’ and had a worldwide television audience of 300 million.

The fight was a pitched back-and-forth battle, but Hearns appeared to be in control having won rounds nine through 12 on all three judges’ scorecards. It was between rounds 12 and 13 that Leonard’s trainer, the late Angelo Dundee, famously screamed at Leonard: “You’re blowing it now, son! You’re blowing it!’’

Leonard, with his left eye badly swollen, turned the tide in the 14th round by staggering Hearns with an overhand right and then pinning Hearns on the ropes and unleashing a barrage of punches, which prompted referee Davey Pearl to stop the fight, giving Leonard the victory and making him the undisputed welterweight champion and king of the division. At the time of the stoppage Hearns was leading on all three scorecards – 124-122, 125-122 and 125-121.

“It was the toughest fight of my life. It took every ounce of will and strength to beat Tommy Hearns. I couldn’t have taken that many of those in my career,’’ Leonard said. “The Tommy Hearns fight was the one that propelled me to the penthouse.’’

Leonard felt like the victory over Hearns launched him into superstardom. He believes the same thing awaits the winner of Thurman-Porter.

Hearns on the fight: “I wanted to show my world my boxing ability. They knew I could knock people out, but they didn’t know that I could box very well.’’

Both Leonard and Hearns said they are anxiously awaiting the match between Thurman and Porter because they believe it will hold just as much drama as their match 35 years ago.

“Yeah, you can make the comparison,’’ Leonard said. “Both guys are at the top of the welterweight division. The only thing that’s different is that me and Tommy were so well known by sports fans. We were on TV a lot, and that’s what built our names and gave people the chance to see us so much. And that’s what they’re doing now with the PBC and the shows being on network TV. This could be a fight like ours. Who knows? But I do know that the fans are waiting on this fight.’’

HOW DO YOU PREPARE TO FACE THE BEST MAN IN YOUR DIVISION?

Read more: Sugar Ray Leonard & Thomas Hearns Weigh-In on Thurman vs Porter - - Boxing News - Ring News24

I have a feeling One Time will produce a spectacular "upset" and stop Porter. If Porter forces him to pull the trigger, he will. And we know who has the power advantage here. Porter is a decent hitter but no huge puncher. Thurman is.

If this fight happened when first scheduled I really loved Thurman. Now I am not so sure. Thurman's lay off could be an issue, and Porter has more confidence now. Thurman appeared to have hurt his hand in his last fight as well, the writing on the wall is for the upset. I still give Thurman the nod, if he can neutralize the early onslaught of Porter, which is going to be telling of how this fight goes. I like Thurman in a SD, but an upset would not surprise me.

OK, I been thinking on it:

I'm going with Thurman, probably by decision.

Porter is a bit one-dimensional, but he's also tough, and I think Thurman has less power on the inside, which is where Porter will try to be for the full 12 rounds. Also, Thurman will have to move more than he'd like, so he probably won't be sitting down on his punches as much as usual. And finally, While Thurman does have a nicely varied offensive arsenal, his favorite mode of attack is those wide, arcing left-right combos. Basically long hooks & modified crosses. Porter's defense is perfectly suited to negate that.

I'm interested to see if Thurman can effectively use uppercuts in this fight. That might be his best chance for a KO, since Porter loves to come forward with his head down, but It's not (As far as I can recall) one of Thurman's main weapons. He does throw an interesting, low hook, but I'm not sure that will get through Porter's earmuffs defense too well.

Perhaps for this fight he will have been working on a true UC. (With proper support AND proper defense. - A hard punch to throw perfectly against a powerful inside fighter.) Heck, it would be really interesting if Thurman has "secretly" been working mostly on an inside gameplan, something that Porter would never expect. That would be quite a surprise.

Edited by Cableaddict

Porter is a dangerous, swarmer-type fighter. If Thurman wins this, then we can wait for fight against Brook for #1 spot.

Boy Howdy!

Is the winner supposedly Brook's mandatory? - 'cause otherwise, "if it walks like a Brook, and talks like a Brook ...."

Originally i thought Thurman would win a unanimous decision with a late knockdown securing the victory. Since the postponement of fight, i've been leaning towards Porter getting decision.

I was the other way around. I started off thinking Porter was going to make it really ugly and dirty and get a Split like he tried to do against Brook but I'm starting to think Thurman might be able to keep him on the outside with his power in counters and get the decision. I don't think Thurman will stop him but if he does I think it will be very late and maybe because of a cut rather than a KO.

Porter is really head-butty and I reckon it's likely that one of both of them end up with cuts around the eye early on.

Edited by JrGooNer

Hey, whaddaya' know? Here's Thurman talking about his approach to the fight. and he specifically mentions using the uppercut:

(2 minutes in)

Geez, I hope Porter doesn't watch YouTube ! ;-)

Edited by Cableaddict

Ringnews24 Boxing Radio – Episode 18, Thurman vs Porter & Joshua vs Breazeale Preview

Anthony George A.K.A ‘Zute’ Hosts RingNews24 Boxing Radio: The boxing show where we bring you the sweet science straight up with no twists.

Ron Christian is co-hosting the show. Ron is one of the best commentators in boxing and has wealth of knowledge to share about the sweet science.

We look ahead to the Keith Thurman vs Shawn Porter clash and the heavyweight showdown between Anthony Joshua and Dominic Breazeale. We also discuss the recent win for Joe Smith Jr over Andrzej Fonfara.

Middleweight Contender Rob Brant is our featured guest. Minnesota’s Rob (20-0, 13 KOs), will discuss his upcoming fight.

John J. Raspanti will give his take on Thurman vs. Porter, as well as discuss his upcommng book “Intimate Warfare” which takes a look into the great trilogy between Mickey Ward and Arturo Gatti.

Discussion of the Boxing world straight up with no twists. Anthony George A.K.A. as Zute, has interviewed many top names in combat sports. Among some of the top names in boxing are: The late Howard Davis Jr., The late Tommy Morrison, Timothy Bradley, Keith Thurman, Jarrell ‘Big Bay ‘ Miller, Donny LaLonde, The late Jose Sulaiman, Mike McCallum, Danny ‘Swift’ Garcia, Heather Hardy, Mike Weaver, the list goes on. With a rotation of knowledgeable guest analysts each week, like Ron Christian, Zac Pomilio, Rob Day, Carlette Ewell, Tony Whitby, Randy Gordon, Gene Aguilera, Ronald Cameron & John J. Raspanti; a weekly segment with boxing veteran Jeff Bumpus, and a bird eyes eye view with RingNews24 correspondents all over the world, RN24 Boxing Radio is your place for the sweet science.

Listen here:

Re: RBR Keith Thurman to face Shawn Porter-Predictions/Results

Haven't seen the broadcast yet. But i had Thurman winning a close decision. Also thought he lost the 1st 3 rounds. And the next 3 were razor close. Depending on how you scored those rounds, probably sealed the win for either fighter. Took this pic while there. Crowd was packed and electric. Great atmosphere.

DSC03980.jpg

--- They both hurt each other in a good fight that we seldom see out of spoon fed Haymon fighters.

That said, the Puerto Rican crowd thought Porter won as did I. Thurman called being bulled to the ropes to be mauled good defense. I say he was hurt more and out worked. I was surprised they both coasted the last round to play safe. Greatness within their grasp and they tanked it.

Have yet to watch the fight or card - internet been dreadfully slow. George Jimenez (GeoImagez) who is our American editor, was in attendance and had a backstage pass - he was working taking photographs in both boxers dressing rooms - can't get much closer to the fighters before a big fight than that :)

Haven't seen the broadcast yet. But i had Thurman winning a close decision. Also thought he lost the 1st 3 rounds. And the next 3 were razor close. Depending on how you scored those rounds, probably sealed the win for either fighter. Took this pic while there. Crowd was packed and electric. Great atmosphere.

[/quote

I also gave Porter the first three, and so gave him the win by maybe 1 round. Most fans seem to think Thurman deserved the decision.

I still don't after a third viewing. Most of Thurman's punches were effectively blocked by Porter, who's defense was surprisingly sharp for this fight.

Also, Porter was the primary dictator of the pace & of where the fight took place. That counts for a lot.

I was rooting for Thurman, but I just can't give him the win. He landed a good number of bombs, but could not put Porter away, so you can't really say he landed the harder shots. Also, Thurman looked scared & reactive for most of the fight, not in control at all.

Edited by Cableaddict