[SPOILERS] Deontay Wilder vs Artur Szpilka - Fight Thoughts

QBoxing

Re: Brooklyn Heavyweight championship doubleheader

Just got to Barclays Center. This kid Ivan Golub looks pretty good. 9-0 with 7KO's. Stopped his opponent in the first round. Now 10-0. I'm sitting 6 rows away from Harold Lederman

Did you see the Wilder KO punch? How did it look in person?

[spoilerS] Deontay Wilder vs Artur Szpilka - Fight Thoughts

By Anthony George

Deontay Wilder Vs. Artur Szpilka: The fight began with a great stare down. Then it became somewhat of a sloppy chess match. Wilder seemed wild and tense in the first few rounds and Szpilka was content to fight on the outside. A huge right hand by Wilder in the fourth round spun Szpilka’s head back like the exorcist. Szpilka took the shot fairly well and began to come forward in the middle rounds. Wilder could not get his jab going all night and appeared to be down on the cards. Szpilka started to become braver, and even reckless. Taunting Wilder at times with his hands round. In round nine Szpilka was in position to throw a wild left hook and Wilder capitalized on the moment. A short inside right put Szpilka’s lights out. As the Polish heavyweight lay motionless, Wilder retains his WBC Heavyweight title. The official time was 2:24 seconds of round nine. After the fight Ronnie Shields told the crowd Szpilka was fine and was taken out on a stretcher as a precaution. Wilder said Szpilka was a crafty southpaw that took time to get to. Tyson Fury and Wilder had a war of words after the bout that amounted to nothing but an embarrassing moment. Wilder improves to 36-0 35 KO’s, while Szpilka falls to 20-2 15 KO’s. Wilder was up on all 3 scorecards 78-74 at the time of the stoppage.

Read More: Page not found - - Boxing News - Ring News24

Fact

The attendance for tonight's fight is 12,668. This is the second largest attendance number for a boxing event at Barclays Center. The largest was Garcia vs. Judah on April 27, 2013.

Post Fight Quotes

RONNIE SHIELDS:

“He’s doing good, He’s awake and knows exactly where he is. He didn’t want to go to the hospital but he’s going as a precaution. It’s better safe than sorry.”

DEONTAY WILDER:

I told him he was a great contender. He came to gave his all. He gave his all for Brooklyn.

“I always say two prayers,” Wilder said. “I say a team prayer and I say an individual prayer. I don’t want to hurt a man so he can’t go home to his family. We risk our lives every time we step in the ring. He’s definitely in my prayers and I hope he’s doing well.

“He was definitely a crafty guy. I haven’t competed against a southpaw in three years. He was a tough competitor, but you’re fighting for a world title. It’s not supposed to be easy. I’m surprised it took that long, but we had 12 rounds and they can’t all can’t be pretty.

“We all know Fury is just a phony. This is just an act. I’m not scared of any body. We’ll come to your back yard. This is just an act – you’re not a real fighter. I don’t play. This isn’t wrestling. This isn’t the WWE. When you do step in that ring with me I promise you I will baptize you.

“I would love to fight him next, unfortunately. I have other mandatories due. Make the date Tyson, I promise you.”

FURY:

“Any time, any place anywhere. I’ll fight you in your back yard after I beat (Wladimir) Klitschko again.

Re: [spoilerS] Deontay Wilder vs Artur Szpilka - Fight Thoughts

--- TBA Wilder and Haymon the continuum of Don King farce.

Szpilka did well on short notice but aggressively stepped into a right counter, so now Bambi posts his 3rd TBA defense for American grade schoolers to swoon over...see Fat Dan for how that works...

I was REALLY impressed with Szpilka, and big props to Ronnie Shields. Artur was moving better than we've ever seen before, and fought the perfect game plan.

Wilder seemed pretty clueless for about 4-5 rounds. Obviously, he and Breeland expected Szpilka to swarm and make it an inside fight, but when he didn't they should have had a solid "plan B for southpaw opponents." They didn't, which is kind of shocking.

Also shocking was Wilder leading with his OH right. WTF was THAT noise?

I'm starting to seriously question the abilities of Mark Breeland. It might be time for Wilder to find a new trainer.

----------

Still, Wilder did move well, and his stamina was excellent, plus he closed the show under heavy pressure, showing excellent reflexes. So, it's not ALL bad, but I was less than impressed with that performance.

I was REALLY impressed with Szpilka, and big props to Ronnie Shields. Artur was moving better than we've ever seen before, and fought the perfect game plan.

Wilder seemed pretty clueless for about 4-5 rounds. Obviously, he and Breeland expected Szpilka to swarm and make it an inside fight, but when he didn't they should have had a solid "plan B for southpaw opponents." They didn't, which is kind of shocking.

Also shocking was Wilder leading with his OH right. WTF was THAT noise?

I'm starting to seriously question the abilities of Mark Breeland. It might be time for Wilder to find a new trainer.

----------

Still, Wilder did move well, and his stamina was excellent, plus he closed the show under heavy pressure, showing excellent reflexes. So, it's not ALL bad, but I was less than impressed with that performance.

What did you make of the post fight with Fury-Wilder - was Fury drunk?

I don't think he was drunk. He seemed to really be enjoying the spotlight. Tons of fans were surrounding him taking pics, having him sign stuff, etc.

Also heard last night that Barclays tried to get the Thurman vs Porter fight, but lost out to Connecticut. Most likely Mohegan Sun.

Great stuff repsac, thank you for the pics!

You're welcome. I had a blast.

Nah, he just an ass, through & through.

Fury, despite winning the title simply because Wlad only threw about 100 punches total & Fury didn't trip on his own feet and fall down, is the champ now.

He should act like one.

--- His namesake Tyson never did nor did Ali.

The quiet, noble champs of the past, Dempsey and Louis, have given way to modern, selfie type microsecond, attention spans enhanced by tabloid media. Fury would be the republican presidential front runner had he been American, but he's mentioned running for office when he retires, so there you have it.

Thought both looked tentative in the opening rounds - abit nervous of getting tagged.

Great finish and it was a good fight. Szpilka is a damn good Heavyweight - has flaws, chin ain't best but he is a legitimate contender. Wilder done well, in the end.

Thought both looked tentative in the opening rounds - abit nervous of getting tagged.

Great finish and it was a good fight. Szpilka is a damn good Heavyweight - has flaws, chin ain't best but he is a legitimate contender. Wilder done well, in the end.

Totally agree with you. Szpilka took not many power punches, but the last one was devastating. Anyway, in all of the Wilder fights it looks like he is too fragile defensively.

One point on his favour is the fact that he just got more pro fights than amateur fights. And it looks that he has learned a lot from Mr Breland

Glazkov knee injury assessed

The radiology report is in and it appears that heavyweight contender Vyacheslav “Czar” Glazkov suffered a more severe knee injury than originally believed in his bout with Charles Martin on Saturday night.

Dr. Steven Stoller, a, New Jersey Orthopedic Surgeon and who specializes in sports medicine, watched the Glazkov fight live last Saturday night. The doctor said that in the third round, while avoiding a punch, Glazkov’s right knee “pivot shifted,” which in layman’s terms is a partial dislocation of the knee (and is indicative of an ACL injury), when he went down the first time, which the referee ruled a slip. Glazkov continued fighting until presumably injuring his knee further when the bout was called off with 30 seconds remaining in the third round.

Dr. Stoller, with extensive experience treating professional and amateur boxers but who has not treated Glazkov, said, “Upon reviewing Glazkov’s MRI report, the injury was much more complex and serious than a straight forward ACL tear. Additional injuries consisted of a vertical tear of the medial meniscus, a grade II sprain of the medial collateral ligament as well as the lateral collateral ligament, with extensive injury to the posterior lateral complex of his knee, a large knee hemarthrosis, and he sustained bone contusions of the lateral tibial plateau and medial femoral condyle. I can’t imagine how Glazkov was able to walk out of the ring, let alone continue fighting.”

Read more: Glazkov knee injury assessed - - Boxing News - Ring News24