2010 International Boxing Hall of Fame Ballot

grapevine241

I think McGuigan deserves to be there. He beat some very good fighters and arguebly his title reign/career would have gone on longer if not for the Nevada sun.

McGuigan united the 2 sides of Northern Irish divide (well on fight nights).

you cant base it on "would have" it has to be what he actually did do

I think McGuigan deserves to be there. He beat some very good fighters and arguebly his title reign/career would have gone on longer if not for the Nevada sun.

I don't base it on "would have" though my post sounded like that. He beat Eusebio Pedroza over 15 rounds and followed it up with a win over highly rated Bernard Taylor plus beat the tough Danilo Cabrera.

The thing with UK fighters at the time, is that they often had alot of hard fights before getting a titleshot. McGuigan beat Juan Laporte. McGuigan is there for me on ability.

I don't base it on "would have" though my post sounded like that. He beat Eusebio Pedroza over 15 rounds and followed it up with a win over highly rated Bernard Taylor plus beat the tough Danilo Cabrera.

The thing with UK fighters at the time, is that they often had alot of hard fights before getting a titleshot. McGuigan beat Juan Laporte. McGuigan is there for me on ability.

agree to disagree deal//

Rob-

If you use the standard where you take into account things other than the actual record, which in Barry's case is somewhat iffy, and look at his effect on the sport or in this case the Irish situation, what a great story that was, then I can see it.

But the thing is, I don't know you can just say the heat of the Cruz fight cost him further title reign, we think it did, but can we say that for sure?

It's a somewhat iffy pick. Others that have been questioned are Ken Norton, Jose Torres, and Ingemar Johanson (my personal least favorite selection).

Ingo went just 26-2, with a 1-2 record against the only Hall of Famer he ever faced and the two other noteable wins over a young Heny Copper and Eddie Machen. A bit weak if you ask me.

Dave, I'm not 100% on the actual criteria for fighters getting in. I tend to base my picks on the history of boxing and what they achieved. Factors have to get taken into account - like amount of belts available, opponents.

I think Barry's record is fine overall though can't comment on Torres. Johanson I knew his name as a kid through my grandfathers so he was known for his Paterson win.

I am quite soft on the term 'World class', people say oh he wasn't World class despite the guy winning one of the major belts. I feel people are overly picky on these things. I don't see the Hall of Fame as an exclusive club - maybe it should be but then it would be pretty empty.

I don't think anyone can claim McGuigan wasn't "world class",the guy beat the number one rated featherweight in the world(who is also in the hall of fame) and in the same year beat Juan Laporte and Bernard Taylor - both of whom were rated in the top ten.One might argue that he deserved the fighter of the year award that the Ring Magazine gives out every year.

That said,I don't think he did enough in his career to be inducted in the hall of fame either.

I don't think anyone can claim McGuigan wasn't "world class",the guy beat the number one rated featherweight in the world(who is also in the hall of fame) and in the same year beat Juan Laporte and Bernard Taylor - both of whom were rated in the top ten.One might argue that he deserved the fighter of the year award that the Ring Magazine gives out every year.

That said,I don't think he did enough in his career to be inducted in the hall of fame either.

Don-

Yeah, I always hate to knock these guys on the HOF because it sounds like we're kicking them after the fact, and really Barry McGuigan doesn't deserve that, he deserved to be respected for what he accomplished and not be criticized.

But I'm thinking that what he had was a really excellent START on a HOF Career with LaPorte, Bernard Taylor, and Pedrosa, but it dovetailed too quick for my standard ((though no fault of his own, in the Nevada Sun).