Muhammad Ali and the Phantom Punch

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Muhammad Ali and the Phantom Punch

Funny story, but I listened to the fight on the radio and there was a long period between when the fight took place and was first seen on regular television and all you heard was about how the "phantom punch" didn't even land. It went on for at least a couple weeks, if not longer (I was only eight, so don't ask me to estimate the amount of time I had to wait to see it, at that age every day waiting on something was like a week, lol, but I'm sure it was at least two weeks or more before everyone finally saw it) and then it went from the punch not even landing at all to how powerful it was or wasn't. You don't pick up on that from the discussion here, but to hear the Clay critics and the people who offered up hatred for the loudmouth despite not having seen the film yet and knowing what they were actually talking about, you'd have thought the punch was either never thrown or missed by ten feet. Jack Dempsey comes across like a super-skeptic about the KO, but actually he was pretty tame compared to average sports fan who hated Clay.

• 8 months later...

Re: Muhammad Ali and the Phantom Punch

So many controversies, interviews, criticisms, fixed dive, and novels written over the past 50 years about Ali's Phantom punch. I believe Ali knew something about pressure points. I grew up watching all Ali's bouts, and most of his knockouts are mostly to the chin. Sonny Listen was clearly put out by a punch to the chin the Kyusho way. He was my idol and in boxing will always be the greatest.

He did learn Kyusho. Ali was student and very good friend of George Dillman, one of the first western Karate Masters to learn Kyusho back in those days. That was the big secret back in those days, know where and how in the correct time.

I know most of you don't know what Kyusho is. Go to youtube and do a search on it. I've been learning this for over 6 months now and believe me, it doesn't take much of a power to knock someone out. My son, 10 years old, after I taught him just one point in the correct spot on the chin, he put me out cold. Unconscious.

I'm 49 years old now. I've learned Hwa Rang Do since 15 in high school and 2 years later started Tae Kwon Do for 15 years. I've never seen anything like it. Believe it or not.

Ali.jpg.ece0a08f50b51f14a79d61af4ddaea6e.jpg

Dr. James M. Shih