Peter Buckley talks to Ring News 24 about his amazing career

Exclusive Interview: Peter Buckley talks to Ring News 24 about his amazing career, his life and what lies ahead for the legendary journeyman

Written by Ryan Kinzett

Ringnews24.com: How did you get into boxing?

Peter Buckley: Well, I got into a lot of trouble when I was younger. A boxer near where I lived called Rocky Lawlor kept saying to me I should go down the gym so in the end I went down there. It just took off from there really. To be honest I thought I’d only have a few fights. I never thought I’d have 300.

Ringnews24.com: Did you have much of an amateur career?

Peter Buckley: I started boxing as an amateur at 11. I had 54 fights and lost 4 of them. I was a good amateur. I won the Midlands title 4 years on the trot. I lost my second fight by majority decision against a kid who had had about 10 fights and had won them all and I was giving away about a stone in weight which you couldn’t do nowadays. His name was Lee Williams. I got to the semi finals of the ABCs one year where I lost to Nigel Wenton. I also lost to a Welsh kid. My last amateur fight was against Mark Tibbs in the ABC finals when I was 15.

Ringnews24.com: Most people would call you a ‘journeyman’. Is that term disrespectful or is it the same term fighters like you refer to themselves?

Peter Buckley: I’d call myself a journeyman but I’d say I’m one of the better ones. The term ‘journeyman’ is respectful in my opinion. It’s somebody who knows the game, is willing to travel and accepts all challenges.

Read More: http://ringnews24.com/index.php/boxing-news/53165-exclusive-interview-peter-buckley-talks-to-ring-news-24-about-his-amazing-career-his-life-and-what-lies-ahead-for-the-legendary-journeyman.html#ixzz1x2RqCwUX

Re: Peter Buckley talks to Ring News 24 about his amazing ca

you share nice imformation can anybody know about new chicago fight house

Chicago Fight House is located in Chicago and offers personal 1 on 1 boxing training and women's self defense

chicago boxing, amateur boxing, personal training, women's self defense

Address: 1643 N. Milwaukee Ave Chicago, Il 60647

Absolutely Brilliant Interview, look at fighters like Buckley and have the same amount of respect for him as i do for world champs. He's had a hard career but sounds like he really enjoyed it. Fighting was his training i bet he barely sparred a round with all those fights.

Would be interested to know whether he made a decent living out of the sport and what sort of money he was making for fights and those at 'a days notice fights' how much negotiating did he do? lol

Hahaha, he did seem to mention Scotland a lot lol. But he didn't seem bitter about the Scots or anything. It just seemed to follow a pattern whereby wherever he fought, he would always get robbed. I think it was more annoying being robbed in Scotland though because he had traveled hours to get there and when he arrived it was bloody freezing! grin//